A content management system (CMS) provides a platform for web content and helps to keep it up to date without any design or programming skills. CMS makes the process of updating and uploading content much simpler and easier, and also allows to easily create a dynamic, automated website. Content management is the organizing, categorizing, and structuring of information resources like text, images, documents etc. So that they can be stored, published, and edited with ease and flexibility.
These days it is rare for developers to build a website without a CMS. There are a number of content management systems that are currently being used online. The most usable CMS are those which offer both power and flexibility to the core. Some of the CMSes are WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, Sitecore, Sitefinity, DotNetNuke, Umbraco, Typolight, Radiant CMS, SIlverStripe and so on. Normally, WordPress, Drupal and Joomla are highly usable CMSes.
But with .Net development as background, leading Microsoft .NET based CMS platform solutions are available. In content management systems, there is not one solution that is best, each CMS solutions may be best in its own way for the company that need. So I would not rank them but list few of them with their features.
Some of the CMSes with their features are as under:
1) Sitefinity CMS :
Sitefinity is a very well respected .NET tool, which assist in the management of websites. It has been in the market for the number of years with increasing features and functions. Initially they catered to the very small marketplace with a free version that increased brand awareness. Now Sitefinity content management system is aimed at the small to mid-market business sector that needs a good but not overly complex CMS product. Some of the features are:
– Usability: Sitefinity is much easier to use. Means site admins will enjoy greater freedom and flexibility. On the contrary, Telerik, the manufacturer of Sitefinity, sets guidelines and requirements.
– Integrates with Windows server environment : If you prefer Windows server and use several Windows tools, you will find Sitefinity very interesting. People having expertise in .NET admit that coding a Sitefinity CMS based website is a simple task.
– Certain future : Telerik is a reputed company and considering the popularity of Sitefinity among users, you can be absolutely sure about its future. This CMS may not be as old as Joomla, but its here to stay.
– Professional documentation : This is a great benefit of Sitefinity. On the other hand, Joomla’s documentation is not so well organized.
You have to search online to get Joomla documents.
– Ability to import data : Do you already have a website, and it’s built on WordPress, Drupal or any other CMS? Shifting the content management system platform is not difficult at all when you have Sitefinity. It comes with the ability to import data from any other content management system.
– It’s evolving : Sitefinity was launched back in 2005, and in the past 7 years, it has evolved radically. The company behind this CMS listened to customer’s feedback and added features to make things user friendly. In fact, Telerik received Microsoft Central and Eastern Europe Partner of the Year award for developing this brilliant CMS.
– Free trial : Some people may argue that Joomla is free forever and Sitefinity is not. True but there is a free trial option for Sitefinity users. Take the free trial and explore its features. If you don’t like it, then opt for any other CMS. There is no need to buy the license immediately.
2) Sitecore CMS :
Sitecore is a leading content management system built on .Net framework, providing flexible and powerful website. It is an enterprise-level CMS platform. Sitecore CMS solutions is gaining market share in a highly congested content management system market. While more or less all the content management systems offer free plug-ins and lots of usability features, what really sets this CMS apart is that it can fetch great return on investment. But two things should be kept in mind- the tools it offers and how well it satisfies the visitors. Here are some of features for which enterprises use this CMS for website development projects:
– Content serving : You can profile the content by paying attention to user interests. Based on the user behavior, the CMS shows relevant content to provide a satisfactory user experience.
– Multivariate (A/B) testing background : You have the freedom to build multivariate A/B testing and select the version that offers the best conversion rate.
– Web traffic conversion insights : You get a complete insight of the website traffic conversion rate. Sitecore shows visitor experience analytics and end user behavior.
– Third-party integration capabilities : Sitecore can be easily integrated with other tools that you are using, such as SharePoint, CRM and Google Analytics.
– Integrated SEO module : The cutting edge SEO tools help you make the site search engine friendly. Considering the importance of SERP ranking in a crowded online marketplace, you have to admit that it’s a great feature.
– Intuitive and user-friendly interface : The user interface is very simple and intuitive. If you are a seasoned web developer, then you will take only a few hours to understand its tools and development techniques.
– Web2.0 and Social media tools : Sitecore provides useful Web 2.0 tools such as blogs, Wikis, polls, forums, social networking etc. It lets you build an interactive website for your business and turns occasional visitors into loyal customers.
3) Umbraco CMS:
Umbraco is one of the promising names in the field of open source content management systems. The CMS is developed using c# and comes with a number of features that make the web developers’ job simple. One of the most impressive qualities of Umbraco is that it can be customized from scratch as per the user’s requirements. This strong CMS can be used on a number of hosting platforms such as PHP, ASP.NET, Java, Perl, Linux etc. Some of the features of Umbraco are :
– Customization : You can modify the existing script codes and create a beautiful website design as per your brand image. Besides, you can also create and install applications to enhance the usability features.
– Easy editing : Maintaining a website regularly is a tough task, but this flexible CMS makes the job simplified for you. You can effortlessly edit the web page content and publish new text or images from time to time for better customer engagement.
– Blog publishing and management : Some website owners establish a blog to boost SEO efforts and Umbraco understands this requirement of online business owners. This CMS comes with cutting edge blog creation and management facility to ensure your site’s better ranking on SERPs.
– Scalable : Your business won’t remain the same for years, right? It will grow with time, and you will start offering new products or services to increase yearly revenue. There is no need to worry though. Umbraco gives you the freedom to add new pages and features so that your growth never gets hindered.
– Secure : The CMS comes with state-of-the-art security tools. It ensures complete security of your website’s data.
About the Author:– Harini is a specialized author working with Cygnet infotech. This company provides all IT and technical services including CMS solutions that help companies to improve efficiency in techniques.